Kakwik on Prince William Sound

Kakwik on Prince William Sound
A Sundowner Tug: Boating in Alaska

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Taking a Break-Halibut Fishing & Climbing Flattop!

Brian went fishing for a few days, and I, left to my own devices, decided it's been TOO LONG since I've been hiking.  I'm a little bear afraid, so I drove up to Flattop after all of my "chores" were done today, nearly 6:00 by the time I started.  I figured, correctly, that I'd have enough company on THIS hike that I wouldn't worry about hiking by myself.

Brian is out on Prince William Sound and caught a 35 inch halibut today - about 19 pounds, he thought. No pictures yet - have to get him a smart phone!  Here are some pictures from the hike to Flattop though -- a nice summer evening with a shower all of the way down - ended up cool and kind of wet!  Probably close to a hundred people on the hike in various places though - maybe not quite that but a lot!
On the way up - I forgot I had to go "over there" from what looked like it could be a summit! 

From the top - looking further into the mountains! 

From the top - looking out over Cook Inlet and the city of Anchorage!

Okay, tired enough from hiking, fed now and ready to go to bed.  I saw everyone in every imaginable shape, size, age climbing Flattop - it's one of the things that I love about Anchorage - families climbing with small children, people obviously out of shape (even more than me!) taking their time and making their way up the mountain, people with babies in backpacks - and I'm thinking it's way enough for me!  I need to toughen up!  It was fun though, and I look forward to some more hiking as Brian's daughter, Colleen and her partner arrive on Tuesday for 9 days.  One more day of work on Monday, and then I'm pretty much off til August 15th!  Later than usual this year, because we're going east and I'm going to a conference in Toronto on the way back.  


1 comment:

  1. I have a great halibut recipe from my Alaska cousin. Did I send it to you already?

    ReplyDelete