Kakwik on Prince William Sound

Kakwik on Prince William Sound
A Sundowner Tug: Boating in Alaska

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Snuggled in -- It's COLD here already!

When I got out of work and got in my car yesterday to drive home, I looked and it was 8 degrees!  And it was supposed to get to 0 or below last night!  This is earlier than last year - the early snow too.  The moon was full and a very clear night so gorgeous but cold!  We were inside sipping wine and having a halibut stir fry.  Not as exciting as the outside pictures, I know, but quite satisfying and very colorful!

Recipe:

Stir fry chunks of halibut in a little oil with red chiles first (or add chili oil).  Remove and stir fry julienned red pepper and snow peas leaving tender-crisp.  Add sauce that you make with 2 cups of chicken broth, 1/4 c. soy sauce, a little brown sugar, 1/4 c. of lime juice, and then thicken with cornstarch mixed with a little water after it boils 5-10 minutes.  Combine halibut, vegetables, sauce and chopped fresh cilantro and serve over rice noodles.

From:  Marine Cuisine: Recipes from Alaska's fishing families, Alaska Marine Conservation Council (www.akmarine.org)

I love halibut, and it was very expensive this year -- and we weren't here all summer to fish for any!  Consequently we have no halibut in our freezer, and it will be a very special and occasional treat all winter! I bought this at a farmer's market before they closed for the year as "shredded" halibut, which was much more reasonable in price -- good for enchiladas or tacos and a stir fry like this!

Daylight is shrinking here!  I've got to more than double my vitamin D intake, as it is much lower than when I came here a year ago -- and I have Brian taking it now too -- important no matter where we live!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm . . . The halibut recipe is making me hungry, I will definitely try it . . . Sounds so cold . . . Hope you have a cozy Thanks Giving : )

    ReplyDelete